Saturday, May 24, 2014

First day as a Santa Barbara City College Alummi


I was  only 17, when I first walked into the Santa Barbara City College campus. I was nervous and a bit afraid to start over again at a new school filled with students who were in different stages of their lives. There was no more cliques, I would of been in a Marching Band clique because I participated in it back in high school. There was no more 8am-3pm schedule or lunch break or mandatory meetings to attend.  Suddenly, college was your choice and obviously its something I definitely considered without a doubt. I wasn't ready to leave my beautiful hometown and I did not have enough money to go to a university so I had to stay. It was the best choice I made.

Left to Right: Billy, Me, Alexia, and Jasmine
What I love about this school other than its location, is the close connections I made with friends and professors. I always knew that I wanted to go into writing, but SBCC give some reassurance of this major. I originally was a Creative Writing major, but I decided that going into English would open more doors for me in the future. Along the way, I had to get my GEs done. And I took Statistics and met my best friend, Alexia there. We shared the same interested in wanting to transfer up north for school and we went on a college road trip, in pursuit of finding schools that we wanted to apply to. San Francisco State and UC Santa Cruz were two we really liked. Alexia is attending UC Santa Cruz this fall.


My English Major Friend, Blair
I decided on Cal State Channel Islands. I visited the campus when I was a high school sophomore and I wasn't all that convinced I wanted to go. Then, my sister transferred there and I was suddenly there almost every other weekend. I was quite indecisive for a while because, I still have yet to meet another English major from CSU Channel Island, but despite that I wanted to make a name for myself there because its a fairly new school. One of my goals is to meet someone who is working to get their English degree. It didn't have that issue here at SBCC. I became close friends with a few English majors, who were apart of my study groups. Although there wasn't much studying involved whenever we met, we had so many laughs. This helped me realize that I shouldn't take life so serious. I want to thank the SBCC English department for all their help and their support. The following are pictures of my English professors:





My first English Professor at SBCC, Barbara Bell (Spring 2013)


American Literature Professor, Melissa Menendez (I had her for 3 semesters starting in summer 2013)

My British Literature Professor, Melanie Eckford-Prosser (Spring 2014)
 








No comments:

Post a Comment