Thursday, October 3, 2013

Adjusting, Positive thinking, The Coquette by Hannah Foster, History Repeats itself



I confess I'm still trying to adjust to this heavy schedule and hectic workload. Its insane how people manage to take 18 units and work two jobs, when I over here with only 13 units and one job (Picture on the left: my dog visiting me at work I'm holding up a Steve Morris Defensive Driving School Card). Seriously, those people are gifted. I feel like my two years of community college are equivalent to two extra years of my high school senior year, specifically the excitement of events going on, but as well as the difficult courses I am enrolled in. I am not the person to give up and receive a bad grade on anything, so if a professor ever disagrees with my work I get really upset. Some people just let it go, but I take it to heart. I am a perfectionist I want people to like my work, so it gets a bit frustrating. Sometimes I have to remind myself to take it one step at a time and that everything is going to work out fine. And eventually it does.




So I stay positive for myself and for others; I mean I basically go to school on a beach! Don't people go to beaches to relax? SBCC is probably the most relaxing community college a person could go to right? Honestly, I love school the classes are so interesting that I don't find a single subject boring, I meet a new person every day, but the only thing is that it gets challenging very quickly. I'm sure everyone can relate to this. (This is literally the beach across from SBCC, and those two dots are my friends, Leah and Billy swimming).
The Coquette






Something I found interesting this week was a book I read in my American Literature class, The Coquette by Hannah Foster (On the Right picture of the novel).I know books and American Literature typical English Major haha. I liked this book so much I am trying to incorporate it into my short story for Creative Writing. I'm handling two subjects at once by one, studying for my midterm and two, writing my short story. Its genius, its like that idiomatic expression, "killing two birds with a stone"! Come to think of it, why did they associate the idea of completing two tasks at the same time to killing birds? That's kind of strange when you think about it. So basically the story is about a woman named Eliza Wharton, who in the beginning of the story looses her fiancĂ© which results to her moving in with friends. Eliza writes to her best friend Lucy about her stay at the Richman's house and for advice on two admirers that begin fighting for her love. You could relate this conflict to many novels nowadays, but this is in my opinion, where that conflict originated. You have to read the rest to find out what happens.

I'll give you a preview of my short story:
                                               
                                              History Repeats Itself
                                                     by: Kiki Reyes

I.It was a stupid research paper our history professor assigned us that made me come back home to Hartford, Connecticut. I hadn't been home in almost a year and now I had to faced about hundred miles of driving, an estimated hour and half. Of course it started raining during my morning drive that's something I always despised about going home, but this time looking above at the uninviting dull skies and the curious empty roads made me feel more uneasy than usual. At that moment I decided  to shift my thoughts into focusing on the paper. The assignment was to get a better sense of our ancestors and when they migrated to the Americas. I began to think about the stories my grandparents would tell my younger brother, Daniel and I. They briefly mentioned the Hartford Circus Fire in the 1940s, apparently they were late to the circus that day. I remembered my grandma got teary so we had to change the subject. Even though we were on a different topic, I could see her grey eyes staring blanking, possibly re-following the flames annexing the circus tent echoing of swallowed tragic screams. It had nothing to do with my family's history at all, but that was the only story I could remember.

I hope you like it so far, its very suspenseful.

-KIKI REYES
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment