Sunday, October 13, 2013

Temptations, Took the 2:03pm train going anywhere, Harbor and Seafood Fest, City Council Elections...


It's still stuck in my head... (the song from the last post) hmm at least its not some annoying song because that would drive me insane. I've been writing some new songs completely inspired by this wonderful fall weather as well as inspired my own experiences. Just a walk around school can inspire me to write a verse of a new song. I have been tempted to bring my ukulele to school, but I haven't because I'd be way too distracted to focus in my classes. In fact, my friends use to give me a time limit with playing guitar because once I start playing I can't stop. It's addicting.

I was able to visit my sister in Camarillo on Friday. My mom and I took the train there, it was our first time. It was such a soothing ride and the scenery was unbelievable (Picture on the left). We are all seriously blessed to live in such a beautiful coast. I was doing some of my American Literature homework and then an hour later we were there. My sister picked us up and we spent all day in Camarillo shopping for my dad's birthday presents.

It was a nice little day trip, but its making me crave a big adventure for winter break; Maybe, up north to San Francisco or Berkeley, to visit some friends.

This weekend in Santa Barbara was the Harbor and Seafood Festival! It was literally across the street from school. This event is where the whole community gathers to enjoy delicious sea food and embrace our Santa Barbara culture. Apparently, my first time going to this festival was when I was five years old, but I honestly don't have a slight memory of it. (My sister, my dog, and I on the left) Fortunately, I went this year with my family and we walked around looking at the different booths. Many were selling clothing, there was face painting for the children, booths informing us of keeping our environment clean, and most of them were food booths.

I saw two familiar ones though, one happened to be the SBCC Culinary Arts program(http://www.sbcc.edu/careercenter/cte_pages/culinary_hotel_cte.php)  and the other was the SBCC Marine Diving Technologies Program (http://www.sbcc.edu/marinediving/) . I actually went up to the diving program and asked them personally for a picture of their table, as seen on the left. So if any you are interested in diving or cooking I recommend you to join these programs.

While I was at the festival I saw Wayne Scoles, one of the candidates for major of Santa Barbara. I had just received my ballot earlier this week, so my sister and I approached him and asked him several questions about what he would improve about our city. It was great talking to him in person rather than reading the Voter Information Pamphlet. This goes for everyone election day is next month, so I encourage you to be informed with what's going on in your local city council.  I still have a long way to go to make set decisions on who and what I'd be voting for this year.

Midterms are coming up... enough said. I hope everyone has a fabulous week! If your just tuning in to my blog, you have made the best mistake of your life! :)

- KIKI REYES

P.S Over the weekend someone asked me what my major was and I said it was English and they told me "That's boring." I laughed and thought little do they know how exciting the world of literature is.
 



2 comments:

  1. Hey, your blog is really awesome.
    I'm an exchange student from germany and going to sbcc until next year in summer.
    i wanted to have contact with american people.
    if you want, you can text me :) https://www.facebook.com/katharina.muller.1297

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! You're making a great decision to come to SBCC!

      Delete