Thursday, October 17, 2013

Midterms, Flu Season, Pier, Cupcakes, Thinkin About You, The Procrastination Song


I can speak for all of us when I say right now we are feeling the pressures of midterms. It's crazy that this month is almost over; Holiday season is beginning soon, then its winter break and then its spring semester...Focusing on the present, I can tell flu season is in effect. I've been noticing so many people sneezing around me and my sweet paranoia resulted in my own sickness as well. Going to work sick is not a joyful time. I recommend taking good care of yourself, getting enough sleep (yes even with the temptations of staying up all night to study) and drinking lots of water.  Then, you can embrace the beautiful weather on your breaks from class.(The picture on the left will be explained in the next paragraph).




Yesterday was my dad's birthday so we decided to go eat dinner at the pier. Being able to see the sunset while literally eating by the ocean was beyond words. So I took a picture (on the left) isn't it completely breath-taking? The best part was that while my family and I were waiting for our food, a man came into the restaurant and played classical guitar next to us. I am completely in love with Spanish style finger picking its very enriching and it makes me so content, that's one way to cheer me up just by that sound. 

He started playing a classical version of "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk, I'm not kidding! It was the most beautiful composition I've ever heard. My sister and I were the only guests who knew the song, other than the waiters who requested him to play it. I looked over at him and he smiled while he was playing I blushed. One of the waiters told me he was playing that by ear because he heard "Get Lucky" on his iPhone.

Anyways the pier is a few blocks away from school, which is pretty convenient if any you guys are stressed from midterms and need a nice walk to relax your mind. It's also quite inspiring for writers who have writer's block. I remember one time my friend, Billy and I got out of class early and decided to have lunch on the pier it was amazing. Also, if you go kayaking I recommend you don't kayak under the pier because its first not allowed and second its very dangerous. I've done it once with my sister and my friend Jack, we all survived. Haha.

So after dinner we brought my dad some cupcakes from Crushcakes Cafe! Originally, there was only one on Anacapa Street by downtown State Street, also near by school, but there's now one in Isla Vista.

 (http://www.crushcakes.com/menus.html) If you have a sweet tooth these cupcakes are sensational. I promise you. I had these for my 16th, 17th, and 18th birthdays. Although they are somewhat pricy they are so worth it! My favorite is the strawberry blush.

On a different note, I brought my ukulele to school. My friend has an amazing singing voice, she and I were practicing a song that we're going to cover its called "Thinking About You" by Frank Ocean.  It's a great song. Also I wrote a new song called "The Procrastination Song" its up on my soundcloud, but its not the best version of it. I need to record it again and make it perfect, I happened to be a perfectionist anyways...

-KIKI REYES

P.S:I covered some more Civil Wars.. https://soundcloud.com/kikisrey/tip-of-my-tongue-the-civil

No comments:

Post a Comment