Friday, November 8, 2013

The Fear

When I was a HS Freshman
Before my fear of balloons

I have many fears, some silly, some similar to others, some that progressed over the years . For example, my fear of balloons. I never liked the violent sound they made when they popped, it would startle me. They're suppose to be a symbol of celebration until they explode in your face and for this reason I'm traumatized by balloons. Another fear of mine is being stuck in an elevator and I have to face it every time I go to the doctors or go to Paseo Nuevo with my friends and they decide to take the elevator from the parking structure up to CPK. I have always been afraid of elevators, but it wasn't until a certain movie that reestablished my fear of them. I will never be the same again.


This is lounging around at  SBCC
Okay in all seriousness, a fear I have been struggling with since I've been going to SBCC is the fear of not transferring on time. I always thought that after two years you HAVE to be done, no exceptions. Currently I will be finishing SBCC being few credits short. It's not like ten credits, its four. I am pretty close, but I won't be guaranteed to transfer by Fall 2014, but possibly Spring 2015. I went to a TAP counselor the other day and she told me to stop being so hard on myself. She said "Stop thinking about the credits and focus on school. Things happen for a reason, you know? It took me five years to finish here at city college, but time flies by. I finished here went to San Diego State and now I'm back here working. Everyone finishes on their own time." It clicked everyone finished on their own time. So I decided I'm going to conquer this fear and at least try to transfer by fall 2014, but if I don't I get to stay another semester at the beautiful Santa Barbara City College.  What's so bad about that?

-KIKI REYES





No comments:

Post a Comment