Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Adjustments

I wouldn't say I was on a extremely long vacation this summer because I decided to enroll in summer classes. Yes most would dread it but I decided this after my last final during the spring semester. I remembered walking across to the beach and realizing it wouldn’t be entirely bad, after all my ideal summer would be staying here in paradise. It was quite distracting because of the perfect days, but fortunately I was able to push through and finish off hard in my classes. I  can now say I have finished my math and english requirements and it only took a year and a half. So after many weeks of summer school I finally had my vacation... I had an audition for Rising Star USA-which is a singing competition I was able to gain audition experience from, I ran with a group of friends at Run or Dye (image to right: my
good friend Billy and I), I went kayaking (image to your left: my friend Jack, My sister Jasmine, and I) and paddle boarding with my friends, and all of this spontaneous activity helped me prepare myself for this fall semester and what it has to offer.   

So far it has offered us a few more weeks of summer because of the unbearable heat. Being a Santa Barbara native, I have seen this occur several times before and its not something we natives are used to.This weather is not helping my concentration so I'm resisting its power of its warmth that can be so heavy it can put us all of asleep. My first week of school I noticed on the East campus many students sitting on the grass under palm trees reading pages from their class textbooks as well as sleeping-this was by the gateway building. So since I had an hour until one of my many classes I joined them. It was very refreshing; I could feel the wind lift my concerns for school away.

           My concerns circle around the idea of not transferring on time and because of this fear I have become a full time student at SBCC with a part-time job. I'm trying to get as many credits as I can this semester as well as to save enough money to transfer. And  I'm sure there’s many people around this campus that are like me, an English major, a musician, a writer. (This point was beyond proven in my Creative Writing class) Hopefully this semester exceeds past our expectations improvements,school wise (glad be apart of a smoke-free campus) and academic wise.

            And as always heading into our second week of school my birthday falls into that week. I've been talking about for a week now to everyone (for example I told the cashier at the SBCC Bookstore who circled the return date on my receipt which happened to be my date of birthday. At least he said "Happy Birthday: to me right?). Of course its all just adjustments, school schedule, work schedule, a new age, a new outlook, a different routine, you could say its overwhelming but I'm sure changes like these happen to everyone.  



- Kiki Reyes

No comments:

Post a Comment